As you probably know, USB 3.0 is not supported natively by Windows 7. It's for this reason that the Windows 7 installation is not possible by default from a USB 3.0 key. To avoid this problem, VMware Workstation virtualizes by default an USB 2.0 controller when you want to virtualize Windows 7. By default, if you open the device manager in a. Dell Latitude E6520 - Missing Universal Serial Bus Controller Driver I cannot install universal serial bus controller driver. Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series need two drivers.SM Bus Controller and Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller.
- How to fix universal serial bus controllers without download driver & no required any software& we can resolve problem all type windows for free drivers.
- Code 28 - Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller. ASUS Motherboard Support determined that this problem was likely due to a bad motherboard so will RMA it. There is no link for me to delete this thread.
As you probably know, USB 3.0 is not supported natively by Windows 7. It's for this reason that the Windows 7 installation is not possible by default from a USB 3.0 key.
To avoid this problem, VMware Workstation virtualizes by default an USB 2.0 controller when you want to virtualize Windows 7.
By default, if you open the device manager in a VMware virtual machine with Windows 7 as guest, you will see this :
- USB Root Hub (x2)
- Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
- Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
- Generic USB Hub
- USB Composite Device
Nevertheless, once Windows 7 is installed, it's possible to benefit from USB 3.0 in the guest OS. Obviously with the installation of the appropriate driver in the guest OS.
To do this, go to the settings of your Windows 7 virtual machine, click on 'USB Controller' and select 'USB compatibility: USB 3.0'.
Once you have selected 'USB 3.0', a message will appear with a link that will redirect you to the Intel site : https://www.vmware.com/go/dl_intel_usb3_driver
Update : since version 15.5.6 of VMware Workstation, you can use a USB 3.1 controller instead of USB 3.0. However, the procedure for installing the required driver remains the same.
You will arrive on the 'Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Intel® 8/9/100 Series and Intel® C220/C610 Chipset Family' page of the Intel Download Center.
In the guest OS, Windows will tell you that the device driver could not be installed for the USB bus controller.
Once the driver is downloaded in the guest OS, unzip the downloaded file and run the 'Setup.exe' file.
If Windows 7 is not up to date (even if SP 1 is installed), you may receive an error :
This error is due to the fact that Intel uses new secure features implemented by Microsoft in this dll which belongs to the core (kernel) of Windows.
To update this dll correctly, go to the 'Microsoft Security Advisory: Insecure library loading could allow remote code execution' page of the Microsoft site.
As you can see on this page, you need the update 'KB2533623' for Windows 7.
Update 2020 : since the writing of this tutorial, the KB2533623 update for Windows 7 has been replaced with another update called : KB2758857.
And the 2 official download links for the old KB2533623 update are dead.
So, you will need to download and install the new KB2758857 update for Windows 7 :
- Windows 7 in 32-bit : Windows6.1-KB2758857-x86.msu
- Windows 7 in 64-bit : Windows6.1-KB2758857-x64.msu
Install the KB2758857 update by simply launching the downloaded 'Windows6.1-KB2758857-xxx.msu' file.
Once the installation is complete, the virtual machine will have to restart.
Click on : Restart now.
After rebooting, you will be able to install the Intel USB 3.0 driver without any problem.
To do this, run the 'Setup.exe' file from the previously downloaded driver.
Note : if an error message 'This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software' is displayed, make sure you have selected version 3.0 or 3.1 for the USB controller of your VMware virtual machine.
During installation, Windows will tell you that the Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub has been installed.
Leave the 'Yes, I want to restart my computer now' box checked and click Finish.
After rebooting, open the device manager.
As you can see, 2 new devices appeared in the Universal Serial Bus controllers :
- Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub
- Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
Quite often Windows users facing a problem when the system can’t identify the connected device. In such cases, the Device Manager contents an Unknown device and the next information displayed in its Device Status box: The Drivers for This Device Are Not Installed. (code 28).
Such error is related to Device Manager and it’s important to mention that in most cases Code 28 means that you don’t have the latest device’s drivers installed on your machine and all you need to do is just install them.
How to Fix The Drivers for This Device Are Not Installed Code 28?
Solution 1. Update Drivers for the Device
This method will be useful in case you know which device causes the issue or you even have its manufacturer’s CD with appropriate drivers to install. All you need to do is to install drivers on your PC.
In case you don’t have such CD – you can download the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s official website.
Follow the instructions:
- Download the latest drivers manually from the manufacturer’s official website. Run setup.exe or other executable files that you’ve downloaded;
- In case there is no executable file in your downloads: run the Device Manager (run Command prompt, then type in and run command msc), find the needed device in the list. Right click on it and choose its Properties. Now switch to Driver tab and press Update Driver button.
- After that – follow the installation wizard’s instructions and install the needed drivers.
Solution 2. Find and Install the Needed Drivers by Using Device’s ID
In case the device is not identified and you don’t know exactly what device causes issues, you might need its ID to try to find the needed drivers. To find out the ID of the device follow the instructions:
Universal Serial Bus Controller Driver Windows 7 Code 28 Inch
- Go to Device Manager, find the Unknown device in the list, right click on it and choose its Properties;
- In Properties switch to Details tab, now switch parameter in the field to Hardware IDs;
- As a result, you will see a few IDs. Almost every ID has some deeper information about the device. Now we are going to search the drivers by using the ID – right click on it and press Copy;
We’ve found the ID of the device, now we need to find the needed drivers. The first thing – we will Google the ID to find the name of the device (or even a link to download the driver). When you got the name of the device – try to download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website or a third-party website (do it at your own risk!).
In case you can’t find them using the official website, try to use, as example, this website.
It has a great search option, you just need to paste the copied ID of the device into the search field and press Search. In case the drivers are in the website’s database—you can download the drivers directly from the website using the appropriate icon.
Solution 3. Try to Install the Needed Drivers in Compatibility Mode
Sometimes older drivers’ versions can be successfully installed by using the Windows compatibility mode. In case you have the drivers’ installation file (for example, on manufacturer’s CD) which causes errors – try to use the next method.
Universal Serial Bus Controller Driver Windows 7 Code 28 64
- Open the folder where the drivers’ installation file is located, right click on it and then choose its Properties;
- Now switch to Compatibility tab;
- Check on Run this program in compatibility mode for: and try different OS versions (most often users are successful with Windows Vista).
Solution 4. Use Fix it (Automatic Tool)
This is an automatic tool to fix the Code 28 issue. All you have to do is to download the Fix it utility from the below link and install it in your computer.
- Download Fix it from here;
- Install it on your computer;
- Launch it and you will see the next options:
- Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows;
- Diagnose and fix Windows USB problems automatically;
- Choose any of the options above;
- The rest of the work will be done automatically.
Additional Methods on How to Fix Code 28
Download Driver Windows 7
In case the error Code 28 didn’t disappear after you tried all of the steps above, you can perform one of these additional methods:
Universal Serial Bus Controller Driver Windows 7 Code 28 Driver Download
Roll Back the Driver to the Version Prior to Your Update;
- Run the Device Manager;
- Right click on the device which you want to roll back the driver and open its Properties;
- Switch to Drivers tab;
- Click the button Roll Back Driver.
Using System Restore to Undo the Changes
In case you’ve created the Windows restore points earlier – it’s the best time to recover recent Device Manager changes by using it. Error code 28 should disappear after that.
Tip. It’s better to perform a backup of your drivers from time to time because it can help you to restore the correct functioning of the hardware and devices (USB devices, scans, printers etc.) quickly.