The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (OALD) is a world best-seller. It is now available for Kindle: set the OALD as your default dictionary on your Kindle e-book reader (2nd generation or newer only) or Kindle iOS app and you will able to look up words in the dictionary while reading another book (other versions of Kindle, including the Kindle Fire do not support this feature at this time).
The Oxford Spanish Dictionary is the most widely used and authoritative Spanish bilingual dictionary available. It's used as a key reference tool by language professionals with over 300,000 words and phrases, and half a million translations, and packed full of grammatical and usage information for both languages. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, the app features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF SPANISH BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
- Dictionary, including many that have only just come into the language. We can make sure that these important new words are included because we have the huge Cambridge International Corpus to help us. This has over 500 million words from British English and American English, from spoken English and written English, and from many.
- Oxford English Dictionary.
- The very latest vocabulary, 2018 edition, with over 320,000 words, phrases and meanings.
- Tens of thousands of regionally specific entries reflecting the unique richness and global adaptability of the Spanish language.
- 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including those with varying pronunciations (Premium only)
Tailored to professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current Spanish at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDATES:
- Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
- Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
- Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
- Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
- Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
- Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
- Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
- Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
- ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
- Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
- Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
- Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
- Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
Get even more with PREMIUM:
- Audio pronunciation - Learn words faster with the integrated pronunciations.
- Offline mode - Save words on your device and view them without internet connection.
- Priority support - Get support with priority for any app-related issues.
- No ads – Enjoy an ad-free learning experience.
The new OED Online offers many tasters and routes into the dictionary's 600,000 words and 3 million quotations. If you like words, then these may be for you.
600,000 words via your local library's subscription
Access the new OED Onlinefree and from home using your local library's subscription. Nearly every public library in the United Kingdom now subscribes to the OED. Remote access means you can log-in at home—or anywhere at any time—using your library membership number. Find out more.
The OED is also available worldwide via the libraries of universities, colleges, schools, and others institutions. We offer 30-day trials of the new OED Online for non-subscribing institutions as well as personal subscriptions to the OED.
Sign up to ‘Word of the Day’
Every day we send out a different word from the Third Edition of the OED by email as our Word of the Day. Why not sign up? It's easy and it's free - once you've checked our legal notice and privacy statement, simply
Click the button on the right hand side of the page and follow the instructions in the lightbox.
Any problems? Please email us: [email protected] To cancel this service, send a plain text message to [email protected] consisting of the text signoff oedwotd-l and leave the subject line blank . Alternatively, use this unsubscribe mail link.
We also send out daily Word of the Day links in our RSS web feed. Sign up on the homepage.
You can also follow the OED on Twitter.
Aspects of English
In addition to its quarterly updates of revised entries and new words, the OED Online includes regular commentaries on the language, written by dictionary editors and specialist authors.
Aspects of English explore the history, shapers, and uses of the language, as well as word stories offering many routes into the OED.
More free content from Oxford
From the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- sign up for a topical Life of the Day from 57,500 people who left their mark on British history worldwide
- subscribe to a fortnightly podcast of a popular biography; there are more than 120 episodes available in the archive, from Friar Tuck to John Lennon
- you can also follow the Oxford DNB on Twitter
From the American National Biography
The Oxford English Dictionary Pdf
- a biography of the day drawn from more than 19,000 shapers of American history